Jazz Audience Initiative Key Findings:
- Tastes in music are socially transmitted.
- Across western-based art forms, jazz still draws a relatively diverse audience.
- Consumption of jazz is artist-driven.
- Music preferences are shaped by local programming.
- Younger buyers have categorically more eclectic tastes in music.
- There are many musical pathways into jazz.
- Jazz buyers strongly prefer informal settings.
“This research provides deep insights into the ways contemporary audiences are choosing to participate in and engage with the arts, and specifically creative forms of music, such as jazz," expressed Robert Breithaupt, Executive Director of the Jazz Arts Group. “From the beginning, we worked collaboratively with our national research partners to share information and new ideas. We're now turning our attention to putting this research into practice and considering the implications of this important data for our organization. We hope other organizations will join us in this work to strengthen the field."